Re: Entering Unicode characters

From: Elias Mårtenson
Subject: Re: Entering Unicode characters
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 12:14:36 +0800

On 10 February 2016 at 10:07, Drew Adams <address@hidden> wrote:

> You seem to be trying to prove we can't do this for ALL the Unicode
> characters, but I never said we could do them all.  Doing it for just
> some characters will be useful.

I was kidding about emoji.

(You might be confusing me with someone else who spoke against
your idea of ASCII representations.)

I know this can't be used in a summary screen containing more than one character, but how about drawing a bitmap version of the character? If you use a, say, 32×32 grid you can represent pretty much anything. I can envision this being a useful thing to include in the C-u C-x = output.

At least this would allow a user on an ASCII terminal (or even one on a graphical terminal with incomplete fonts) to see what a character looks like.