Re: On language-dependent defaults for character-folding

From: Adrian . B . Robert
Subject: Re: On language-dependent defaults for character-folding
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 15:52:49 +0200

Artur Malabarba <address@hidden> writes:

> Char folding is primarily about being able to easily search for
> characters that you can't easily type. It also has secondary uses,
> like searching when you're not even sure which character you want to
> search for, but I'm focusing on the first.

Thank you.  I wish there were more posting of actual use cases like this in
the present discussion.  I feel like a lot of the posts so far are along the
lines of "Because X, I don't want this to be the *default*", which it isn't
going to be anyway, and very few are about "I want character folding so I can
*do* Y."  So far I've seen:

1) Easily search for not-easily typable characters, by casting a wide net.

2) Search for composed and decomposed variants of the same character.

Note that these would be best served by two *different* features.  #2 by true
unicode-composition folding, and #1 by broader "optical" classes that are
roughly but not exactly captured by searching for any character whose
decomposition contains the template.

Are there any other things that people *would like* to do with character
folding (besides turn it off if it got in their way)?