Re: Enhancing (?) `emacs-version'

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: Enhancing (?) `emacs-version'
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 21:27:38 +0100

On 2016-02-10, at 20:24, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

>> From: Marcin Borkowski <address@hidden>
>> Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 20:01:57 +0100
>>
>> would it be hard and/or reasonable to make `emacs-version' display the
>> sha of the git commit used to build this version for development
>> versions of Emacs?  I guess it would make sense for bug reporting.
>
> We already have the variable emacs-repository-version, and
> report-emacs-bug already includes it in the report.

Thanks, I had no idea that this exists!  What does it state for
non-development versions (official, prebuilt pretests or binaries, for
instance)?

> If that's not good enough, please tell the details of the use case you
> had in mind.

I guess it is (almost) good enough.  I will probably advise
emacs-version to include that info, though.  Would it be helpful for the
devs if I do?  Not all bug-related messages are created with
report-emacs-bug.  Use case: a message to the bug-gnu-emacs list,
stating that this-and-this bug can be reproduced on that-and-that Emacs
version.  It might be helpful for me if emacs-version included that info
automatically.

> Thanks.

Thanks, and best regards,

--