Re: Next release from master

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: Next release from master
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2016 11:33:44 -0800

On 02/11/2016 07:24 AM, John Wiegley wrote:
> It appears that we have several possible scenarios available to us, and each
> has its trade-offs.
>
> OPTION #3
>
>   25.1 is developed on emacs-25
>   26.1 is concurrently developed on master
>
>   This means dropping point releases, except for back-patching severe bug
>   fixes onto emacs-25.
>
>   DOWNSIDE: Package authors will experience API breakages more often, since
>   every release of Emacs is now free to break them. There would be no policy
>   of compatibility, as there is now (mostly) between point releases.

FWIW, I'm not proposing anything as aggressive as breaking compatibility
every release. It's easy enough to maintain API compatibility for a
pre-set number of point releases, and this policy could replace point
release compatibility. A deprecation period of six months to a year is a
reasonable period for expecting external package developers to adapt to
new APIs.