Re: Asynchronous DNS

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Asynchronous DNS
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2016 13:15:13 +1100

By the way, the "make all process functions wait until the connection
has been set up" will make functions that currently are non-blocking
become blocking.  For instance, erc creates a :nowait t connection, and
then calls set-process-coding-system immediately.  And then it sets up a
sentinel that will complete login once the connection changes to 'open.

Unless I'm misreading the code, making functions like that blocking will
make stuff that's currently quite asynchronous become more asynchronous.

We could fix that, of course -- there's really no reason for that
function to be checking infd/outfd, I think?  But this is something that
has to be done on a function by function basis unless we want
regressions in how asynchronous :nowait t connections are.