Re: On language-dependent defaults for character-folding

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: On language-dependent defaults for character-folding
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2016 01:57:33 +0200

> I was trying to develop a dialogue which will help me and you
> understand where your resistance begins and where it ends.  I think
> it's important to do that to better understand the issues, but if you
> don't want that, we can stop any moment.

Can't we somehow use the same char-folding as is implemented in
ICU String Search Service (this is also used for search in Chromium):
http://userguide.icu-project.org/collation/icu-string-search-service
that supports matching of accented letters, conjoined letters,
and ignorable punctuation.

As is described in http://userguide.icu-project.org/collation/concepts
there are several levels of character matching:

1. Primary Level: differences between base characters

2. Secondary Level: Accents in the characters

3. Tertiary Level: Upper and lower case differences in characters

4. Quaternary Level: Punctuation is ignored (where e.g. snake-cased
   “black_bird” matches camel-cased “blackBird”)

5. Identical Level

Maybe our customization could provide options to choose
between all these levels?