Re: VC's modeline

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: VC's modeline
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2016 22:01:06 +0200

On 02/10/2016 05:16 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

As mentioned, I do think it's good that this info can be displayed.
What I think is wrong is to compute this info eagerly/unconditionally by
default.
E.g. we compute this info even if the file is never displayed.

I second this. But along these lines, we should compute the current backend lazily as well.

Until the buffer's mode line is being displayed (i.e. the buffer is visible), or we call some VC command, there's no need to know the buffer's backend.

> Of course this gets worse if find-file-noselect is called in a loop to
> collect info about various files none of which are ever displayed.

Right, this would also make it easier to implement find-file-delayed (the facility to visit buffers in the background quickly, in a read-only fashion, concealed from most user-level commands).