Creating a "borderless" frame (without WM chrome) (was Re: Could x-show-

From: Clément Pit--Claudel
Subject: Creating a "borderless" frame (without WM chrome) (was Re: Could x-show-tip be reimplemented in Elisp? How does one create borderless frames from Elisp?)
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 15:12:55 -0500

On 02/12/2016 10:57 PM, Chris Feng wrote:
>> It doesn't seem that there's any Elisp level facility to customize
>> this flag, unfortunately. This means in particular that unless we
>> patch the C sources, there won't be a cross platform solution to
>> this issue, right?
>
> I'm afraid so.
>
>> I've started thinking at what a patch would look like; presumably
>> the idea would be to expose the functionality of x_create_tip_frame
>> to Elisp, moving parts of x_show_tip into that function. I could
>> try coming up with a patch, if this is deemed useful.
>>
>> There's one thing that confuses me, however: some code related to
>> tooltips seems to be duplicated between xfns.c, w32fns.c, etc; are
>> these files auto-generated? Or should I prepare a patch that
>> adjusts all copies of that code?
>
> Those files contain implementations for different platforms.  You
> need to patch all of them.
>
> The override-redirect flag is X-specific actually.

Thanks for clarifying. This makes sense, of course :)

Scaling back on the original intent, then, could we expose to Lisp a way to
create a chrome-less frame, presumably in just the same way as the tooltip code
does it? Something like `remove_frame_chrome(frame *f)`, which one would call
before making a frame visible.

>> This is really neat, actually :) Thanks a lot! It works great on my
>> machine. I'd still like to find a cross-platform solution, though;
>> company isn't X-specific. Am I right to think that this will only
>> work on GNU/Linux?
>
> Yes, and perhaps other platforms running X11.

Thanks.