Re: Need help debugging Emacs: emacsclient will not draw its contents so

From: Mike Kupfer
Subject: Re: Need help debugging Emacs: emacsclient will not draw its contents sometimes
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 18:05:52 -0800

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> > From: Mike Kupfer <address@hidden>
> > Here's the relevant excerpt from the server log for two emacsclient
> > invocations.  The first one is for the bad frame, the second one is for
> > a working frame.  I can provide the entire server log if desired.
>
> I'm not sure the server log is the place to look for the problem.  Why
> did you think it was relevant?

Well, back in September when this was discussed, one of the suggestions
for the OP was to look into the "communications between emacsclient
and the server on the Emacs side, and see what is passed there."  When I
asked how to do this, I was pointed at the server log.

And the results do seem relevant.  I ran "emacsclient -c" twice within a
short period of time, and the server log showed 2 frames being created.
So *some* code in Emacs thought the first frame was created, even though
it didn't show up in the output from (frame-list).

And I still think it's suspicious that the bad frame seems to match a
frame that was deleted earlier.

> What kind of build is this?  (It's probably best to submit a formal
> bug report where all these details will be spelled out.)

It's a pretty vanilla build of 24.5 on Debian stable.

I'll go ahead and open a bug.

thanks,
mike