Re: Creating a "borderless" frame (without WM chrome) (was Re: Could x-s

From: Clément Pit--Claudel
Subject: Re: Creating a "borderless" frame (without WM chrome) (was Re: Could x-show-tip be reimplemented in Elisp? How does one create borderless frames from Elisp?)
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 09:55:55 -0500

On 02/17/2016 08:49 AM, Chris Feng wrote:
>>> * add a frame parameter to frame_parms in frame.c, say "chromeless"
>>
>> I'd prefer "decorated" as in gtk_window_set-decorated.
>
> Agree.  We call it "decoration" in X almost exclusively.
>
>>> * add an x_set_chromeless slot in each of frame_parm_handler
>>> x_frame_parm_handlers[], frame_parm_handler w32_frame_parm_handlers[],
>>> frame_parm_handler ns_frame_parm_handlers[]; for the last two point to 0 for
>>> now; for the first one point to a new function x_set_chromeless.
>>> * In x-create-frame, add something like
>>>      x_default_parameter (f, parms, Qchromeless, Qnil,
>>>                           "chromeless", "Chromeless", RES_TYPE_BOOLEAN);
>
> I don't think we need to make this customizable through X resources,
> so the fifth and sixth parameters to x_default_parameter should be
> NULL.

Thanks. I've attached a rough patch draft (that is, frames are decorated by
default, but (make-frame '((decorated . nil))) creates an undecorated frame),
which works with --with-x-toolkit=none.

>> For X I doubt that it's always possible to add/remove the decorations of
>> an existing frame.
>
> Yes but it may require remapping if it's already mapped.

Got it; is this why the attached patch doesn't do anything with Gtk? I looked
at the Xlib documentation, but I'm not sure how to check if the window is
already mapped, and only remap it in that case.

Cheers,
Clément.