Re: On language-dependent defaults for character-folding

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: On language-dependent defaults for character-folding
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 21:30:52 +0200

> From: Achim Gratz <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 19:30:09 +0100
>
> Eli Zaretskii writes:
> >> The general opinion is also that char-folding is nonetheless useful to
> >> many users, despite the fact that it will generate incorrect results in
> >> some languages. The only question that needs to be answered right now is
> >> whether the feature will be turned on or off by default. And on that
> >> point, the tendency seems to be to have it off by default, with the
> >> ability to toggle it within an i-search.
> >
> > Actually, my counts indicate that more people want it on by default
> > than off.
>
> Well, if you're already counting, I don't want it on by default.

I'm counting because that's what we all wanted: a poll, or some
approximation of it.  How else can a poll be summarized, if the
numbers of those for and against are not known?

> it must be switchable on the spot, when and where I need it.

It is, please see the documentation.  You can turn it on and off for a
particular search (during the search), and you can do that for the
next searches.

> Allow me to make a general remark towards the trend lately to "let's
> switch on every newfangled feature by default because it can be switched
> off via customization".

There's no such trend, AFAIK.