Re: On language-dependent defaults for character-folding

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: On language-dependent defaults for character-folding
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 19:21:53 +0200

> Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2016 01:07:31 +0800
> From: Elias Mårtenson <address@hidden>
> Cc: Mark Oteiza <address@hidden>, emacs-devel <address@hidden>,
>       Juri Linkov <address@hidden>
>
> If this impacts replace-string as well, then it moves from being a mere
> irritant to a disaster when applied to
> Swedish. Imagine trying to replace the word "correct" and you end up having
> the word "steering wheel" be
> silently replaced as well (the former is "rätt" in Swedish, while the latter
> is "ratt").

There's no reason to assume Emacs development is that stupid.  From
the Emacs manual:

     The replacement commands by default do not use character folding
  (*note character folding: Lax Search.) when looking for the text to
  replace.  To enable character folding for matching in ‘query-replace’
  and ‘replace-string’, set the variable ‘replace-character-fold’ to a
  non-‘nil’ value.  (This setting does not affect the replacement text,
  only how Emacs finds the text to replace.  It also doesn’t affect
  ‘replace-regexp’.)

> If my vote counts, it's obviously "off".

In general, or because you thought replacement commands fold
characters?

In this message:

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-02/msg00245.html

you expressed a different opinion:

  I'm not even suggesting that this kind of comparisons should not be
  the default, even. Especially given the fact that locale-dependent
  comparators are not very well supported in Emacs at the moment.

This seems to be mildly in favor of the feature being on by default,
or maybe I misunderstand what you wanted to say here.