Re: Option to not automatically customize-save-variable `package-selecte

From: Colin Baxter
Subject: Re: Option to not automatically customize-save-variable `package-selected-packages'
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 17:28:51 +0000

>> My opinion now is in agreement with yours, John, and with Angelo in
>> that this should move to a dedicated file (though I originally
>> thought using the custom settings was a good idea).
>
> Please explain why you now think differently.
>
> Thanks.

Hope you don't mind me butting in. Perhaps the issue is not that Custom
is used by package.el but the way its used. For example, the old emacs
code browser (ecb) similarly added settings to Custom but the user was
alerted immediately and the old emacs init file backed up. All this
information was delivered to the user by a pop-up.

With package.el, unless you read the message buffer immediately after
list-packages, you'd never know that the init file had been edited.

Best.