Re: Option to not automatically customize-save-variable `package-selecte

From: Angelo Graziosi
Subject: Re: Option to not automatically customize-save-variable `package-selected-packages'
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 19:55:25 +0100

Maybe I am wrong but Aquamacs does this way. It saves all things in

(custom-set-variables
)

in another file..

 Angelo

Il 18/02/2016 17:19, raman ha scritto:
John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:

In general it's a good idea to put all custom settings in a separate
file -- rather than the init file. As  power user I've done this ever
since I started using custom, since I wanted to be able to continue
editing my init file by hand -- but it's a usage style that could
perhaps be made the default -- since most casual users never discover
this.  Also, the  persisted custom settings get flaky/fragile over time
-- I've never filed a bug because it's hard to track down -- but over
time you see things get truncated -- eg vars whose saved value is a long
list. I presently keep my .customize-emacs file under git  (I also
encrypt it so passwds etc are not visible -- but that's a different
story

) >>>>>> Angelo Graziosi <address@hidden> writes:

Since this was added to Emacs, I have a backup copy of my original init file
so that I can remove those not requested addictions.. and this is very
annoying...

Angelo, would you open a bug on this matter so that we can track it properly,
and you'll be included on the discussion? I do think this should be fixed by
saving the settings to a separate file -- at least, based on this cursory
discussion. Perhaps the experts in this area have better reasons than we've
heard so far.