Re: The future of Follow Mode - a proposal.

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: The future of Follow Mode - a proposal.
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2016 16:21:59 +0000

Hello, John.

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 03:41:22PM -0500, John Yates wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 2:56 PM, Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> wrote:

> > There may be better ways to achieve the single mode line, but one way
> > would be to implement mode lines as windows in their own right, thus giving
> > them scope to be somewhere else other than squashed up into a window's last
> > line.

> I have yet to use FM.  OTOH I have often wanted to put the mode line
> at [the top] of my windows.  There are some hacks out on the web that
> approximate such behavior.  They do so by usurping the header line,
> thereby breaking various modes.

> Putting the mode line at the top of the window is especially desirable on
> large, high resolution screens.  When a buffer's contents does not fill
> a vertical window there can be a large expanse of blank space between
> EOB and that window's mode line.

I don't think this would be too difficult to implement, as a hack, and
would be a good learning exercise for the display code.  One problem I
foresee is that there would no longer be anything to separate the main
window area from the minibuffer.  Have you any thoughts on how this
would be handled?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).