Re: New emacs download page

From: Xue Fuqiao
Subject: Re: New emacs download page
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2016 11:15:54 +0800

On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 4:35 PM, Nicolas Petton <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi Nicolas,

> Xue Fuqiao <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> 1. Add sections (or at least mention) other platforms Emacs support,
>> e.g., GNUstep, MS-DOS, Solaris, etc.
>
> I will.

Thank you!

>> 2. Please mention GNU/Linux distributions that are entirely free[1],
>> like GuixSD and Trisquel.
>
> I do not know anything about these distributions.  Can someone enlighten
> me here?

There's a link about these distributions in my last email.  If you don't
know how to install Emacs in these distributions, here are some
instructions for distros I've used:

1. gNewSense (Debian-based) and Trisquel (Ubuntu-based):

apt-get install emacs / emacs24
aptitude install emacs / emacs24

2. GuixSD:

guix package -i emacs
guix package --install=emacs

BTW, should we mention {INSTALL, INSTALL.REPO, nextstep/INSTALL,
nt/INSTALL*, msdos/INSTALL} and probably etc/PROBLEMS (for users run
into common problems when building/installing Emacs)?  I think it might
be useful for those who want to build Emacs manually.