Re: On language-dependent defaults for character-folding

From: Elias Mårtenson
Subject: Re: On language-dependent defaults for character-folding
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2016 14:28:40 +0800

On 21 February 2016 at 10:51, Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden> wrote:

If that database gives us all that, then I'm all for using that database
instead of creating our own, of course.  But why doesn't C-s o find ø,
and C-s l find ł then?

Because under the Unicode decomposition rules, ø is not decomposable. I can't explain why that is the case (probably because there is no reason to have a combining /. After all, the only languages that use ø are languages that use it as a character of its own).

On a related note, I would expect a search for ö to match ø. As would you, I guess?