Re: On language-dependent defaults for character-folding

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: On language-dependent defaults for character-folding
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2016 18:05:19 +0200

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2016 07:44:45 -0500
>
>  > > It seems to me that we're considering using the Unicode decomposition
>   > > rules for "variant detection" because it's what we have.
>
>   > No, we use decompositions because that's how equivalent strings are to
>   > be compared and mapped/folded.
>
> Please let's drop the idea of determining the folding behavior
> automatically from something in Unicide.  It is too rigid.

We don't determine the behavior from Unicode.  We use the Unicode data
to implement the behavior we consider useful.

> Users want many different folding behaviors.  Instead of insisting on
> a particular set of equivalences, let's make it easy for users to
> specify the foldings they want.

Whatever additional behavior and nuances the users want, we can
implement it regardless of the Unicode data we use for the basic
folding (once we figure out what is it that they want and how to
implement that best).  There's no dichotomy here.