Re: Option to not automatically customize-save-variable `package-selecte

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: Option to not automatically customize-save-variable `package-selected-packages'
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 00:56:40 +0100

On Fri, Feb 19 2016, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> Again, not very different from any other customization that differs
> between machines.  Users should be able to replace Custom forms with
> plain Lisp code, and then they could resolve the issues with sharing
> the settings across different machines and with Git easier.
>
> I already said all of that several times, so I will now shut up,
> unconvinced.

Unconvinced of what, if I may ask?

And what has now been decided (if anything)? Will there be an option to
keep package.el from writing `package-selected-packages' to
`custom-set-variables'? And what will happen if I set this option? Do I
*have* to setq `package-selected-packages' or can I also leave it nil?
Should I expect any adverse effects if I do that (other than the fact
that packages won't be installed automatically, of course). Since I use
use-package anyway, I'd prefer it if I could just leave
`package-selected-packages' unset.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments