Re: Building Emacs for Win64 on Appveyor

From: Angelo Graziosi
Subject: Re: Building Emacs for Win64 on Appveyor
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 01:16:47 +0100

Rory Yorke wrote
  2) There's a bug in MSYS or Appveyor that requries an "exec
     0</dev/null" before calling configure. See [6].

  3) I initially tried "make -j2" (the VM only provides one core, but my
     understanding is that even then -j2 can provide a speed advantage),
     but the build froze after building emacs-lisp/cursor-sensor.elc.
     Non-parallel builds do work.

Hmm.. I build regularly Emacs git on MSYS2 producing a W64 native build.

Usually I use the MSYS2 statements [1] to build using the PKGBUILD script in [2], in which I have added "-j3" to "make" (my machine is an old Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core).

The build takes about 36 min, and the installation and packaging another
13 minutes, for a total of 49 minutes; the build time-limit is one hour.

Usually, all works and the build take about 30-40 minutes. To install it takes about the time to unpack an xz compressed tarball..

Angelo

---
[1] https://sourceforge.net/p/msys2/wiki/Contributing%20to%20MSYS2
[2] https://github.com/Alexpux/MINGW-packages/blob/master/mingw-w64-emacs-git/PKGBUILD