Re: master 71783e9: Add the string-numeric-lessp function

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: master 71783e9: Add the string-numeric-lessp function
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 13:53:35 +1100

Paul Eggert <address@hidden> writes:

> Thanks, I did that.  The idea of my followup is to use the same
> algorithm that GNU ls -v does, rather than invent yet another file
> name comparison algorithm. This should also handle very long integers
> correctly.  I also changed the name to be more like the names used
> elsewhere.  Please feel free to revert.

Looks nice, but I don't think that's a very good function name.  It
sounds like something that is only meant to be used for version strings,
instead of something that happens to work on version strings as well..

And is this supposed to be this way?

(string-version-lessp "foo001.png" "foo1.png")
=> t