Re: State of the NS Emacs port -- looking for new developers

From: Adrian . B . Robert
Subject: Re: State of the NS Emacs port -- looking for new developers
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 12:10:14 +0200

Hi,

First of all, as an OS X user and former maintainer I am very grateful
for the work you've done.  (The improved NSTRACE is awesome!)  And as
much as I wish I could step (back) up now myself to help out, I have too
many side projects as it is.  I hope some others who enjoy working in
Objective-C / Cocoa (which remains an excellent though polarizing
development environment) will jump in.

Thanks also for the new intro material, which will be useful.  Just one
thing, about the HISTORY section -- while not actually inaccurate, it
leaves out some details of interest.  What about something like the
following?

--------

HISTORY

The Nextstep (NS) interface of GNU Emacs was originally written in 1994
for NeXTSTEP systems running Emacs 19 and subsequently ported to
OpenStep and then Rhapsody, which became Mac OS X.  In 2004 it was
adapted to GNUstep, a free OpenStep implementation, and in 2008 it was
merged to the GNU Emacs trunk and released with Emacs 23.  Around the
same time a separate Mac-only port using the Carbon APIs and descending
from a 2001 MacOS 8/9 port of Emacs 21 was removed. (It remains
available externally under the name "mac".)

best regards,
Adrian