Re: On language-dependent defaults for character-folding

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: On language-dependent defaults for character-folding
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 19:27:22 +0100 (CET)

>   > Well, being Austrian, I would like to have a full equivalence of
>   > ø to ö while searching in German data...
>
> In what use case would that make a difference, and how?

For example, the word `Øre' is usually written `Öre' in German (and
this is true for essentially all words containing ø), so it would be
good if a search for the latter finds the former and vice versa.

> ø is not normally used in German, right?

It is not used in the German language, but today there is a tendency
in German speaking countries to use the original spelling in foreign
words.  However, during history many words were also `germanized' by
adapting the spelling to German (i.e., becoming loan words), and here
only German characters are used.  In many cases accents were lost
during the conversion to loan words; for example, a quite common name
in German and Austria is `Dvorak', with the original Czech spelling
being `Dvořák'.

    Werner