RE: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 a9c48d5: Additional fixes for file notificati

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 a9c48d5: Additional fixes for file notification
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 13:39:01 -0800 (PST)

> >> filenotify.el:470:1:Warning: the function ‘caadr’ is not known to be
> >> defined.
> >
> > Well, of course: all cl-lib definitions use the "cl-" prefix.
>
> Hmm, yes. Somehow I'm always unable to remember proper use of cl and
> cl-lib :-(

It's insane that Emacs now calls these `cl-caddr' etc., instead of
calling them `caddr' etc. like all other Lisps (those that have
them) - including Emacs prior to this renaming.  Hard to believe
this actually went down.

Take a simple, longstanding naming convention designed to be as
succinct and transparent as possible, and coat it in a thick
layer of sticky, gooey mucilage...  ("What were they thinking?")

There is nothing particularly *Common*-Lispy about these functions.
It's not like there was some conflict with other, Emacs-Lisp `caddr'
etc. functions.  What's next, `cl-setq'?  `cl-let'?  `cl-car'?

(No, not a joke - `caddr' is no more Common-Lispy than are `setq',
`let', and `car'.)

I suppose someone could argue that this ugliness might dissuade
people from using these functions.  Hopefully such dissuasion
will work in favor of using context-specific access functions or
macros, or better structuring code.