RE: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 a9c48d5: Additional fixes for file notificati

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 a9c48d5: Additional fixes for file notification
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 09:11:41 -0800 (PST)

> Better move the few commonly used thingies out of cl-lib
> and remove their "cl-" prefix.  As we've already done over the years
> with push/pop/dolist/dotimes/setf/...

Just remove their prefixes.

Do that to _all_ thingies that do not have a conflict with existing
Emacs-Lisp thingies with the same name.

The question of which of them should be moved out of cl-lib and
into preloaded Emacs files should be based on how much we expect
them to be used.

But it is a different question from what their names should be.
The question about _naming_ should be based on:

1. Whether they do, in fact, correspond to something in Common Lisp.
   If not, remove prefix `cl-' and move them somewhere else.

   File `cl-lib.el' and thingies prefixed `cl-' should correspond to
   Common Lisp thingies (or to internal implementations of Common
   Lisp thingies).

2. Whether the name without `cl-' conflicts with an existing
   Emacs-Lisp name.  If not, remove prefix `cl-' (and leave them
   in `cl-lib').