Re: Human-readable file sorting

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Human-readable file sorting
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 20:00:58 +0200

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 12:43:22 -0500
>
>   > > I don't think we should do that.  I think rather that we should
>   > > have separate variables to select a sort method for other things.
>
>   > Why do we need a variable?  The relevant functions accept an argument
>   > that is the comparison function, so the callers could simply pass the
>   > function they wanted.
>
> I think we are talking about two different questions.
> You seem to be talking about low-level primitives.  I am talking
> about how users customize the behavior of commands.

Fair enough, but which commands were you talking about, specifically?

(Lars did talk about invoking functions from Lisp programs, which is
why I talked about that as well.  But I don't recall commands for
sorting files where this issue would be applicable; the only one that
comes to mind -- Dired -- delegates sorting to 'ls'.)