Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 a9c48d5: Additional fixes for file notificati

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 a9c48d5: Additional fixes for file notification
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 15:23:00 +1100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> As for concise...  sure, in characters.  But not in meaning.  If I'm
>> reading code, I'm reading "if that is bigger than... zero!" instead of
>
> Just write it (> 0 x) so you don't have to "..." until the punchline.

Eek!  Yoda comparisons!  I don't even understand what they mean.  I
mean, seriously.  It takes me several seconds to reverse those in my
head and be able to parse them.  And that's common enough among
programmers that one should never use them.

>> immediately getting that it's a check for positivity.
>
> As mentioned, I never remember which kind of "positivity" is used where,
> whereas (> 0 x) and (>= 0 x) are 100% unambiguous.

Well, `plusp' is defined as "bigger than zero"...  Once you've learned
that, it's unambiguous.