Re: Asynchronous DNS

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Asynchronous DNS
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 17:26:10 +1100

Amazingly enough, there have been no bug reports from the networking
code hackery, so I'm now continuing to tweak stuff a bit.

I've removed the blockers from the process setting functions, and
deferred completion of the setup to the async code.  It seems to work
fine -- starting erc is now completely non-blocking.

I wonder whether I should perhaps start rewriting the getaddrinfo_a code
to, well, not use getaddrinfo_a, but instead our own function that
starts a thread and just calls getaddrinfo/gethostbyname.  That would
make this stuff work on BSD, Apple and Windows, too, I think?

But I only have a few days left of my holiday, so perhaps that's not
realistic...  Hm...