Re: On language-dependent defaults for character-folding

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: On language-dependent defaults for character-folding
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2016 11:30:49 +0200

> From: John Wiegley <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,
> address@hidden
> Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2016 00:58:02 -0800
>
> Thank you for that summary. From that reading, it sounds like this will
> require a fairly complex decision tree, to determine what should be folded
> when based on the details of each particular country/language?

I fail to see the complexity, but that's me.  In particular, the first
alternative (to have it disabled in certain locales) seems very simple
to me.

> And what about a Swedish speaker living in America who uses en_US because
> that's what 90% of his text is in, who then wants to search some Swedish text?
> Is it the locale that determines it, or something specific to the nature of
> the text in each buffer? And how would Emacs know?

I've asked these questions a lot in this discussion, and still the
majority thinks that the locale in which Emacs is started should be
used for the defaults.  So you are in fact arguing with what the
majority says, not with me.

> Unless I'm not seeing the light at the end of this tunnel, this feature is
> just not ready for prime-time as a default. There are too many unanswered
> questions, and it sounds like none of them can be answered in the abstract for
> every case. I have a feeling we'd be getting bug reports constantly from users
> whose language contains details we never anticipated.

Do we have a clear definition of what are the criteria for this
feature to be "ready for prime-time as a default"?  You are in effect
saying that we will never be able to find good answers for those
questions.  We shouldn't be dismissing a good feature such as this
one, which many users like, due to FUD-like arguments.