bug? mm-display-external does delete-other-windows

From: Ingo Lohmar
Subject: bug? mm-display-external does delete-other-windows
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2016 22:35:16 +0100

Hi Emacs,

Due to some other changes, I am recently affected by the "aggressive"
behavior of gnus' mm-display-external function (in mm-decode.el): When
displaying a part in its own window (not inline), it calls
(delete-other-windows), destroying my window configuration.

Is this behavior wanted when used from inside gnus?  Are mm-decode.el's
functions meant to be used by other packages as well?  In my case the
notmuch Emacs client [1] uses mm-display-part which calls
mm-display-external under certain conditions.

If it's ok to use the function (I hope it is), I would consider
(delete-other-windows) a bug.  Otherwise, are there any plans to extract
the MIME functionality into a separate package?

[1] http://notmuchmail.org