Re: bug? mm-display-external does delete-other-windows

From: Mike Kupfer
Subject: Re: bug? mm-display-external does delete-other-windows
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2016 17:07:30 -0800

Ingo Lohmar wrote:

> Are mm-decode.el's
> functions meant to be used by other packages as well?  In my case the
> notmuch Emacs client [1] uses mm-display-part which calls
> mm-display-external under certain conditions.

Hi Ingo, yes, the mm functions are documented as general-purpose.
There's at least one other package that uses them (MH-E).

I don't see any problems with MH-E when I use an external viewer.  I
guess this is because MH-E is invoking mm-display-external directly in
response to a user keystroke, rather than going through mm-display-part.
And MH-E passes in a string, not a function, as the method.

I don't know how much the above helps you, but I wanted to reassure you
that the mm layer is supposed to be general-purpose.

regards,
mike