Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 a9c48d5: Additional fixes for file notificati

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 a9c48d5: Additional fixes for file notification
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2016 11:53:44 -0500

  > Perhaps I shouldn't be butting in, being only a modest package
  > maintainer, but I that doesn't make sense to me. To me, `cl' is so
  > obviously an abbreviation for Common Lisp that I would automatically
  > expect any function (macro, etc.) prefixed with `cl-' to be a
  > Common-Lisp emulation function.

I agree.  Indeed, the only reason we have `cl' and `cl-' is that some
users wanted to add emulation of lots of Common Lisp functions, and I
agreed to it provided they did not go into the main Emacs name space.

When we add Lisp construct for some other reason, rather than putting it
in `cl' or prefixing it with `cl-', we have better options:

* If it is useful enough, give it a short name.

* If it isn't useful enough for a short name, give it a long name.

Perhaps in some special case a non-CL function seems to fit CL
so closely that we could treat it as an honorary import from CL
by putting it in `cl' and `cl-'.  That could be right in some
very special cases.

--
Dr Richard Stallman