Re: emacs-25 3722a69: Fix bugs in window resizing code

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs-25 3722a69: Fix bugs in window resizing code
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2016 19:20:04 +0200

> Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2016 18:04:17 +0100
> From: martin rudalics <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
>  > `enlarge-window' appears on several places on the Elisp sources,
>  > including calls like
>  >
>  > textmodes/two-column.el:305:6:    (enlarge-window 99999 t))
>  >
>  > which now will result on a error.
>
> Ugly.  Earlier, with code like this you never knew whether the author's
> intention was to maximize the window or to delete all other windows in
> the same combination.  The author should either use ‘maximize-window’ or
> `delete-other-windows-vertically' instead.  Please file a bug report.
>
>  > To be clear, I have nothing against throwing an error on the interactive
>  > case, but against throwing the error on the non-interactive one. That's
>  > what constitutes an API change on my book.
>  >
>  > So I would suggest to remove the `error' and consider where and when to
>  > add it after the release, after studying the code in the wild.
>
> I can make any change people want but won't make any decision.  John,
> Eli?

MO is that we should fix all uses of enlarge-window and shrink-window
in our sources, and otherwise leave the change in 25.1.  Maybe also
document that in NEWS as potentially incompatible behavior.  I don't
think we should postpone the bugfix to 26.1, because I don't really
believe anything will happen until then that will change the
situation: the same problems this could cause now it will cause then.