Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2016 19:07:14 +0100

Just adding my opinion...

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> I agree completely. Writing a log entry in ChangeLog format is an
> excellent opportunity for reflecting on the changeset, for summarizing
> its intent and final shape, and for making sure nothing was left out.
> Writing those entries teaches one discipline, the ability to describe
> your changes in just enough detail, and facilitates communications
> between members of the development team. And in loose teams such as
> ours, good communications are everything.

The same applies to writing a good commit log. I have the impression
that the ChangeLog was acting as an excuse for poor commit logs, while
the ChangeLog's contents could be categorized as `lame' on the best of
cases. There is nothing on the ChangeLog that I can't get from the VC
history, on steroids. However, having poor commit logs really hurts.
Emacs has, probably, the worst record on commit log quality of all the
major projects I contributed to.

Writing ChangeLogs feels so pointless (and, hence, irritant) to me that
on the past I refrained from submitting things to Emacs and keep them on
my local branch.

[snip]