Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?

From: Nikolaus Rath
Subject: Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2016 12:46:30 -0800

On Mar 07 2016, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I want to choose the path that works for the core developers, and
>> will make Emacs more welcoming to new contributors.
>
> It is IMO a grave mistake to remove parts of our development process
> just because they need to be learned by new contributors.  The result
> will be increased burden on the shoulders of those who review the
> submissions, due to the need to coach them, catch their mistakes, ask
> for re-submissions, etc.

When I submitted my first Emacs patch, I was astonished when I was asked
to re-submit with my commit message essentially duplicated in the
ChangeLog.

How can it be an increased burden if reviewers have to review just one
thing (the commit message) instead of two (commit message and
ChangeLog)?

Best,
-Nikolaus