Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2016 23:10:00 +0200

> From: Nikolaus Rath <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2016 12:46:30 -0800
>
> When I submitted my first Emacs patch, I was astonished when I was asked
> to re-submit with my commit message essentially duplicated in the
> ChangeLog.

One is just a copy of the other, so I fail to see a problem, or a
reason for astonishment.

> How can it be an increased burden if reviewers have to review just one
> thing (the commit message) instead of two (commit message and
> ChangeLog)?

No one reviews the same text twice, so doing this will not affect the
review directly.  Indirectly, it will make sure your patches are
cleaner, because summarizing what you did will frequently reveal
subtle blunders and things you forgot.