Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2016 23:19:28 +0200

On 03/07/2016 10:46 PM, Nikolaus Rath wrote:

When I submitted my first Emacs patch, I was astonished when I was asked
to re-submit with my commit message essentially duplicated in the
ChangeLog.

Was your commit message already written in ChangeLog format?

How can it be an increased burden if reviewers have to review just one
thing (the commit message) instead of two (commit message and
ChangeLog)?

Eli was stating something more general, but to get into specifics: often, I only need to read the patch's introduction (high-level description), and its ChangeLog entry, to understand it well enough.

A diff contains the same information, but it's usually longer, could be harder to read, and often you don't see right away which function a given change is being changed, especially if the function is long, and the change is right in the middle of it (though that can be alleviated with language-specific diff options).

And then, I can look through the diff, compare it against the ChangeLog, and see if there are any discrepancies. So the odds of getting some unrelated changes (or missing some related ones) is lower.