Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2016 23:02:42 -0500

>> I think it makes sense to provide them in tarballs (to replace the Git
>> metadata), but I've personally stopped using them years ago when "bzr
>> log" started being fast enough.

> We tried that, for a full year.  If it worked, we could continue using
> it.  But it doesn't work, even when we have only one active branch.
> So continuing using it is out of the question if we want to have the
> files available in the tarballs.

No, what we do currently is different: we auto-generate the ChangeLog
and then commit it into the Git.  What I think we should do is to never
commit it into the Git, and only auto-generate it into the tarball.
Like what we do for GNU ELPA packages (where the log is extracted via
"git log" when building the package and added to the package's content).

That makes "fixing" ChangeLog entries harder/impossible.  But it gets us
rid of the merge-mess once and for all.

        Stefan