Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?

From: Andy Moreton
Subject: Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2016 15:21:07 +0000

On Mon 07 Mar 2016, Karl Fogel wrote:

> Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:
>>On 03/07/2016 11:43 PM, Karl Fogel wrote:
>>> Let's please take it for granted that everyone who's suggesting to
>>> get rid of ChangeLog files is also assuming that we would, of
>>> course, use the same conventions for writing git commit messages
>>> that we would use for writing ChangeLog entries.  (As far as I can
>>> tell, everyone who wants to get rid of ChangeLog files has either
>>> expressed that assumption explicitly or implied it pretty clearly.
>>> )
>>
>>Not so. Many messages in this thread are saying different.
>
> I looked again -- who are these "many"? I don't see any messages from someone
> who both advocates that we get rid of ChangeLogs *and* suggests that we should
> not use the same format for commit messages as we currently do for ChangeLogs.
> (Andy Moreton suggested something about how we could have improved standards
> about what we put in a change description in general, but that's different and
> orthogonal to this discussion.)
>
> Please let me know if I missed a post, though.

For the avoidance of doubt, I think that the changelog format describing
the contents of the diff should not be included in the git commit
message, as it is a pointless duplication of information that the diff
already provides. Let the version control system handle what changed,
and put much more emphasis on describing why the patch exists.

    AndyM