Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2016 17:58:21 +0200

> From: Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2016 05:34:10 +0100
>
> >> Another option for correcting errors on commit logs is `git notes', but
> >> I don't know about its implications.
> >
> > Nobody does.  We shouldn't consider any more experiments in this area
> > until someone else uses these methods and proves they are viable in
> > our case.
>
> How could *someone else* prove the viability of something in *our* case?

By coming up with a procedure which we can study and decide whether
it fits us.

> You always can argue that his project is not Emacs...

I can, but why would I want to?  The opinions are not pre-determined,
they are based on study and in this case also on a year-long
experience of actually using a procedure.

> `git notes' is a documented feature available since a long time ago. It
> can turn the immutability of the commit log into a non-issue if you wish
> to produce a proofread ChangeLog to include in the tarball.

We need a more detailed proposal than this, TIA.  David says "git
notes" is not a solution; if notes don't support merging, then I tend
to think he is right.