Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?

From: Nikolaus Rath
Subject: Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2016 08:12:22 -0800

On Mar 08 2016, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Sorry, I still don't follow your reasoning. I still consider myself a
>> potential contributor (I didn't contribute much beyond that first little
>> foray), and not requiring me to copy my commit message into the
>> ChangeLog is not going to affect the quality of the commit measures in
>> any way. The only "message" that I get from this is "Great, sending
>> patches for Emacs doesn't require me to do a copy & paste anymore".
>
> As long as you don't have write access to the repository, you are not
> required to provide the log entries more than once, and so this issue
> doesn't really affect you.

In that case I agree. However, this practice has the distinct
disadvantage that a patch's submitter does not show up as the author of
the commit. But that's a different discussion.

(As I said in the other mail, I was actually working with the Gnus repo
rather than the Emacs repo - thus the confusion about what the submitter
needs to do).

Best,
-Nikolaus