Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2016 14:03:38 -0500

>   - Commit messages cannot be edited.

>     This is an area where "git notes" could, in fact, help.  The idea
>     is not that we use git notes for every commit, to provide
>     ChangeLog data, but use them to "amend" commit log messages.
>     That way, when generating the ChangeLog for release, a git note
>     can override a commit message, correcting what appears in the
>     final ChangeLog.

I agree that this problem can be solved.  I'm far from convinced that
"git notes" can be part of such a solution, but if it works: fine by me.

But I don't want to only fix the generated ChangeLog files.  I'd like
the fixed text to appear at least in `vc-region-history' and
`vc-print-log'.
Otherwise, it's a lot of work that doesn't help me.

        Stefan