Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2016 23:16:01 +0200

On 03/08/2016 10:56 PM, David Caldwell wrote:

Since notes seem like a no-go, what about taking the same approach but
using an empty commit to do it (`git commit --allow-empty`)? That way it
gets pushed and merged between branches just like normal.

How would such commit indicate a relation to an existing commit? And after making it, you can't easily edit the result, you can only redo it fully.

How about putting all corrections as plain files in a subdirectory? Each file will be named after a commit whose message it's "changing". IIRC, I've seen such idea mentioned before, and it seems like it should work.

We could even implement integration with vc-print-log without too much difficulty. The main thing to solve is the cherrypick commits (does the correction apply to whose? always?); but as long as cherrypicks include the references to their parents in the message, it should be workable, one way or another.