Re: Problems with syntax-ppss: Was [... Apply `comment-depth' text prope

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Problems with syntax-ppss: Was [... Apply `comment-depth' text properties when calling `back_comment'.]
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2016 08:11:33 -0500

> There are several problems with syntax-ppss.  It is not a rigorously
[...]

Those problems are nitpicks about the current state of the implementation.
Again: it's used all over the place, and your back-comment hack won't
replace syntax-ppss any time soon, so if you have a problem with the
implementation, fix it (or report it as a bug, at the very least) and
everyone else will benefit.

> Also the function is complicated and difficult to understand.

So your solution is to add another parallel cache with its own quirks,
complexity and "difficulty to understand" but which doesn't replace it,
so we end up with both quirks and complexities at the same time?

That's called "NIH syndrome".

        Stefan