Re: Why does the tutorial talk about C-n/C-p etc?

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Re: Why does the tutorial talk about C-n/C-p etc?
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2016 11:03:27 -0500

Keyboards have arrow keys.  We shouldn't be talking about C-n/C-p in the tutorial.

The tutorial states the below:

-----
You can use the arrow keys,
but it's more efficient to keep your hands in the standard position
and use the commands C-p, C-b, C-f, and C-n.
-----

So the user is free to use the arrow keys if they desire.

As for me, I trained myself to use C-f/b/p/n instead of the arrow keys using https://github.com/magnars/hardcore-mode.el and now I almost never reach for the arrow keys. I also found the C-f/b/p/n bindings unnatural initially, but now they come up instinctively.