Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2016 11:10:50 -0800

3. We need a convenient way to both create and access this information.

From: Paul Eggert

The coreutils-like approach that I recently proposed should satisfy
requirements (2) through (7).  See:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-03/msg00391.html
It doesn't satisfy (3).

Sure it does. There are lots of ways to look at Git logs, ranging from plain "git log" through VC commands through running "make gen-ChangeLog" and looking at the resulting ChangeLog file.

One old-fashioned example: on my 6-year-old desktop it takes 2.3 seconds to generate the entire log of all 125,294 commits to the Emacs repository's main branch, using plain "git log". This generates a 37 MB file that Emacs can easily load and I can quickly search through interactively, or apply 'grep' to, or whatever. It's not a problem.

When Emacs was first developed, this sort of approach would have been prohibitively expensive. Nowadays it's no big deal.

As for convenient way to create the information, that's trivial: just put it into the commit message. This has long been common practice with Emacs.

it requires the amendments to be
in a form that is tedious to produce and error-prone.

It's not that bad, and it's good enough. True, it will discourage minor tidying-up of old entries (reindenting and the like), but that's a good thing. We should be spending our scarce development resources in more important areas.