Re: Why does the tutorial talk about C-n/C-p etc?

From: Evgeny Panasyuk
Subject: Re: Why does the tutorial talk about C-n/C-p etc?
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 03:30:44 +0300

10.03.2016 0:32, Tim Cross :
Emacs has an audience/user base, but to believe that equals the set of
all people who use editors is a mistake. Some people just want a very
simple editor which is easy to use and only does basic editing - there
are plenty of these editors.

IMO larger user base, including "casual" users, would not harm Emacs.

These users are unlikely to ever enjoy
emacs. Doing your shopping in a formula 1 car is never going to work.

Your analogy suggests that just text editing with Emacs is intrinsically hard and we cannot do anything about it - it is F1 after all which is not designed for shopping (editing).

Those who need/want a more powerful editor are unlikely to be put off by
the tutorial. This doesn't mean we can't improve the tutorial.

I think the problem is not in tutorial itself, but in non-ergonomic default keybindings. C-n, C-p, C-f, C-b - are laid out on keyboard without any symmetry. This is purely historical artifact. There is nothing powerful in these bindings. Even vi's hjkl are more symmetrical and ergonomic (though also have deep historical roots).

--
Evgeny Panasyuk