Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs? (Was: bug#21998: Run 'make change-his

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs? (Was: bug#21998: Run 'make change-history' on release branch)
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 08:36:49 +0200

> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2016 15:22:31 -0800
>
> On 03/09/2016 11:53 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>

> >> And people shouldn't need to cough up the right regex; all they need
> >> to do is run "./autogen.sh all" or "./autogen.sh git".
> > That still misses a couple that add-change-log-entry doesn't.
>
> Which two languages? It should be easy to fix and I can volunteer to do
> that.

Shell scripts and Makefiles are the two I thought of immediately.
Maybe there are more, I don't know.  How about TeX and PS, for
example?  We have a few of those.

Basically, every major mode that has support for add-change-log-entry
and for which we have files in the repository is a candidate.

Btw, the best solution would be to have these tricks added to standard
Git installation, or maybe to GNU Diff (which I think Git uses?).  Why
should users need to reinvent the same wheel all the time?