Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs? (Was: bug#21998: Run 'make change-his

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs? (Was: bug#21998: Run 'make change-history' on release branch)
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 15:14:13 +0600

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 12:36 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> Btw, the best solution would be to have these tricks added to standard
> Git installation, or maybe to GNU Diff (which I think Git uses?).  Why
> should users need to reinvent the same wheel all the time?

Git in fact predefines header regexps for many languages predefined
(see list below). It just does not apply them out-of-the-box; the user
has to add the “*.tex diff=tex” and similar mappings to one of their
gitattributes file. Actually, mappings that are useful for all
contributors could be stored in the version-controlled .gitattributes
file; no need for magic autogen.sh machinery.

    The following built in patterns are available:

       ·   ada suitable for source code in the Ada language.
       ·   bibtex suitable for files with BibTeX coded references.
       ·   cpp suitable for source code in the C and C++ languages.
       ·   csharp suitable for source code in the C# language.
       ·   fortran suitable for source code in the Fortran language.
       ·   fountain suitable for Fountain documents.
       ·   html suitable for HTML/XHTML documents.
       ·   java suitable for source code in the Java language.
       ·   matlab suitable for source code in the MATLAB language.
       ·   objc suitable for source code in the Objective-C language.
       ·   pascal suitable for source code in the Pascal/Delphi language.
       ·   perl suitable for source code in the Perl language.
       ·   php suitable for source code in the PHP language.
       ·   python suitable for source code in the Python language.
       ·   ruby suitable for source code in the Ruby language.
       ·   tex suitable for source code for LaTeX documents.

(from gitattributes(5) as of Git 2.7.1)