Re: Cleaner way to not build the ctags that ships with emacs?

From: Ulrich Mueller
Subject: Re: Cleaner way to not build the ctags that ships with emacs?
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 14:48:41 +0100

>> Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 12:47:09 +0100
>> Cc: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>, address@hidden,
>> address@hidden
>> From: Ulrich Mueller <address@hidden>
>>
>> > Maybe we should even make that the default?  Does anyone still use
>> > the ctags that is distributed with Emacs?
>>
>> Wouldn't that argument apply to etags as well?

> No, because the Exuberant program is named "ctags", not "etags".

Sorry, but I don't understand. Exuberant installs a ctags binary and
(if configured with the --enable-etags option) an etags symlink
pointing to it.

Why would the argument be different for the case of two separate
binaries, as opposed to one binary and a symlink to it? Either way,
there will be name (and file) collisions.

Ulrich